Hiring a Car
Visitors must produce a valid driver’s
licence in order to obtain a Visitor’s
Permit which is usually issued by
the car hire companies or from
the Barbados Licensing Authority
in The Pine, St. Michael, Oistins or
Speightstown for BB$10 – it is valid
for two months from the date of issue.
DrivingTips in aNutshell
• In Barbados we drive on the left.
• Seat belts are compulsory.
• The roundabout system of lanes:
when taking the first left exit off
the roundabout you should remain
in the left lane; when proceeding
straight, take either lane and filter
at the exit, all other exits off the
roundabout remain in the right lane.
At roundabouts always give way to
traffic approaching from the right.
• The main ABC Highway runs from
the Grantley Adams International
Airport, parallel to the South Coast
and then to the West Coast.
• Highways 1-7 all start in Bridgetown
and branch out across the island.
• Highways A-Z are the smaller
roads in between.
• When you hear the honk of a horn
it has a variety of meanings. It could
be a warning, or a ‘hello’ to a passing
friend or an ‘excuse me, I’m coming’.
• When someone flashes their lights
at you at a junction it usually means
‘proceed, I’m letting you go first’.